Heather Nauert withdraws as Donald Trump’s pick for US Ambassador to UN
Feb 17, 2019 (Agencia EFE via COMTEX) —
Washington, Feb 17 (efe-epa).- Heather Nauert, who was United States President Donald Trump’s pick to serve as Ambassador to the United Nations, has withdrawn from consideration, the State Department said, according to a Dow Jones Newswires report made available to EFE on Sunday.
Trump had chosen Nauert, who served as the State Department’s spokeswoman, in December to succeed Nikki Haley as the US envoy to the UN.
The State Department announced late Saturday that she had withdrawn for family reasons and that Trump will select another nominee soon.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement that Nauert’s withdrawal was a personal decision.
“I wish Heather nothing but the best in all of her future endeavors,” Pompeo wrote.
The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Nauert, a former “Fox & Friends” anchor, had little foreign policy experience before joining the State Department.
Nauert had served as spokeswoman for Trump’s first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson.
She remained in the role when Pompeo, previously director of the Central Intelligence Agency, was appointed to head the State Department and had gained his confidence and support to take on the job at the UN.
Nonetheless, Nauert likely would have faced intense scrutiny from the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Haley also was a foreign-policy novice when she was nominated as ambassador to the UN, but she had twice been elected governor of South Carolina.
Trump also had considered replacing Haley with Dina Powell, who had been a deputy national security adviser and had served in the George W. Bush White House.
Others who had been under consideration included Kay Bailey Hutchison, the former senator from Texas, and